Thursday, September 27, 2012

Week 4


The photos below are examples of the monochromatic and complementary color schemes.
 
To represent a monochromatic color scheme in a picture, I decided to photograph round bales in the barnyard. Once I got outside and started to capture the round bales, I thought it would be interesting to incorporate the sky full of clouds. Finally, after shooting from many different angles, I was able to capture the round bales against the clouds without blue sky in the photograph.




To represent a complementary color scheme in a picture, I decided to photograph a yellow caterpillar against a purple background. I spotted the caterpillar on my daughter’s slide and was inspired by his coloring. So, I went inside and grabbed one of Corynn’s purple jackets which I placed on the slide. The caterpillar was quite cooperative and wasn’t harmed in any way during the photo shoot! I love his yellow coloring against the purple polyester – truly complementary!

10 comments:

  1. Shelley,
    Your patience with the sky really paid off in your monochromatic photo, the composition is beautiful! This is a good photo for our lighting assignment as well. It's a great example of diffused or indirect light. The bright white of the cloud cover from the sun almost looks as if it's glowing. The yellow caterpillar against the purple striking and I love the positioning of the caterpillar almost in the fold of the cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say these are great photos. I love how you didnt get any blue sky in the top pic, it just looks awesome and the caterpillar on that purple jackey just made it stand out really well. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley, your photos are stunning! Both are not only gorgeous monochromatic and complementary color schemes, but composed beautifully. I love that you used rule of thirds so strongly in each one. The diagonal of the caterpillar, makes this already stunning photo even more dynamic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your complementary color scheme looks great. I like how you used purple and yellow for the colors. This defiantly represents a complementary color scheme. I see the diagonal caterpillar makes the photo even better. I'm glad the caterpillar cooperated with you. The monochromatic color scheme is good as well. You can see the bails and the sky blend together. Both photos have plenty of lighting. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! The monochromatic is very good you must have had a lot of patience to get the right one but it is perfect. The one that really stands out is your complementary, it really pops at you. I like the p-o-v as well, instead of shooting straight down the shot from the diagonal makes the photo even more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the hay barrel photo; the varying shades of gray are remarkable. Your skill as a photographer incorporating the elements of our previous assignments is amazing. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how the catipiller gave diamention to the picture and the purple brought the yellow out more. The hay bails where amazing it gave depth to the picture as well as contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like both of your photos this week. The monochromatic scheme also incorporated elements of light, and the rule of thirds. All together, a great composition!

    The caterpillar was also very good. Nice contrast in both color and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Caterpillar how yellow you look. Definitely like the caterpillar picture the contrasting colors are nice and the photo is very crisp. The Hay bales cool with the cloudy sky behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like both of your photos! I like the lighting in the sky for the first one. I love how clear the caterpillar and jacket are. You can see the textures so clearly. The caterpillar stands out really well because the jacket is a completely different color. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete